Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Go Figure ?

So for the longest time now I have been saying to my wife Sonya that I feel like I am working to hard for what I have been doing running wise. It is like I am running on 3 cylinders and not the full 4. But as we all know as runners we tend to just say stuff like " oh I am just not working hard enough " or stuff like that. So after many months of this I went into my sports medicine doctor. Low and behold I find out I have athletic induced asthma. Funny since one of my younger brothers Kevin has had the same thing since high school. He was a very good cross country skier !! So I guess knowing what he goes through helped me think that maybe this was up with me as well. I am glad to know and looking forward to seeing how my runs come along now. I guess better to know now at not when I am racing at 10,000 feet at Leadville 100 miler huh.

2 comments:

nwgdc said...

Just catching up...sorry Mad City didn't turn out as well as you'd hoped. The weather surely didn't help. Don't worry, I promise pristine conditions for the Fall 50 this year. I'll be there, so I'll order up some better Wisconsin weather.

As for the exercise-induced asthma, there are some small steps that have been shown in research to be rather affective. One is an increase in Lycopene and Beta-Carotenes. Here's a summary:

"In one double-blind trial, over half of people with exercise-induced asthma had significantly fewer asthma symptoms after taking capsules containing 30 mg of lycopene per day for one week compared to when they took a placebo."

It's from the journal Allergy in 2000. Just an FYI.

Joe Z said...

Glad you figured it out. Hey - did you hear how the trail conditions are on Superior for this weekend - let me know - Joe
jziegenfuss@comcast.net