Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SHT 50K

Man what a race. After a very shitty week of no running(I had 6 miles for the week going into the race) I decided to give it a go anyway. For awhile durning the week I was just not going to go. But after a little talking with people I figured what the hell give it a shot. Let me tell you I am glad I did. Paul and I where at first just going by ourselves but then before we knew it we had a party van going up. Joey Z, Erik L, Chris Lundo and Brian P all came up with us. We had a great drive up in the van as we talked and watched a great Western States DVD from 1982 !!! After a little food at Grandma's it was back into the van and up to Lutsen. Once we got there we all watched the end of the Twins game and a few of us had a pre-race beer or two. I knew I was having fun with all the guys but was not excited about what might happen to me out there on the trail. Let's just say my confidence has not been real good all spring. With that in mind it was off to sleep.....

When we woke up the next morning we where greeted by cool temps of like 26 and a tad of snow on the ground of all things. It was good to see all the people at the start. Man what a good group of people we have in MN ! Then just like that boom we where off and running. Paul and I settled in a good pace and so began our trail journey together. The trail was great and the company was even better. Let me just say I LOVE running with Paul. We seemed to be making good time and got to talk a bunch. The trail was muddy in some spots but oh well it is a trail race after all. In the end we both got in at like 4:57 ish ?? good for 10th and 11th place I believe. Now I loved this area but will say I hate racing on that trail. Running on it is good, racing is bad. That being said the race is great and I hope people continue to go up year after year. In the end I had a great trip with the guys and had a fun time. Glad I did it. Heck our van did pretty well also. I think we had 1,3,4,7,10,11 places.

6 comments:

keith said...

well done, kurt! That is a brutal trail. I was amazed that you guys just got back in the van and drove home! I definitely needed a rest after that race.

SteveQ said...

You and Paul looked really good up there. When I give up on the ultra every week thing, maybe I'll have to tag along with you guys and some of the speed in that van will rub off.

Matthew Patten said...

Hate racing that trail?

I guess the difference between running it and racing it is how much you have to jump.

I wish I was there. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Nice work Kurt and crew. Yes, the SHT is an untamed and unbridled beast. It plays no favorites. Like a wild mustang, it just keeps kicking and bucking all the while.

-wynn

Unknown said...

sounds like you had a blast - thanks for sharing about it.

Helen said...

well done Kurt - sounds like a good time with the lads. hope to make it up there some year for the spring races. a tough one no doubt.